Thursday, March 25, 2010

My Pots are Coated with Enamel and Filled with Flowers



Originally I thought I would blog about food more than anything else but it seems at the moment that I'm preoccupied with the home. It's probably because mr wolf is headed to Melbourne for work, without the prospect of cooking for someone else my interest tends to wane. Fortunately I'll have one last hurrah as I'm heading to Melbourne for Easter so I'm looking forward to visiting the favoured eating haunts of the inner north (and family/friend times).

After Easter I start a new job, hopefully posting will increase (in interest if not quantity) as an injection of funds allows me to commence some of the many projects I have in mind - starting with creating/composing a cheap (but awesome) outdoor setting, finding an effective bathroom storage solution that won't involve banging things into walls* (a big no no according to our landlord, mother fox was very indignant stating that the less than stellar paint job was hardly worth preserving) and making plans for mr wolf's birthday (a little early believe me but for some reason I'm very taken with planning the perfect mixer which will involve canapes, drinks and decorations... oh and guests).

In the meantime I thought I would show you the cheap and cheerful addition I made to the den yesterday.



A Bergonia and an enamel pot(s really I did buy 3).

The bergonia I bought along with a pelegonium and a verbena (I think) which I situated outside my kitchen window on a metal plant stand thing I found in the shed (thanks previous tenants) in their own enamel pots.

Speaking of the enamel pots (enamel - something else I love) these beauties were picked up, of all places, at mitre 10 for $2.95 each. It was a serendipitous find as I had struck out to the local Vinnies in search of cheap ex-culinare pottage (I just made that up) for outdoor/house plants. Balking at the thought of paying $8 for a ceramic pot that had clearly lost a lid and had a hefty crack I departed swearing - as indeed I have the past three times I've been - never to return.



All's well that ends well though as I now have delightful enamel pots and some instant garden to look at while I wait for my nasturtiums, asyllum, arugula, chard, beans, parsley, sage, tarragon, coriander and lettuce to grow up - which coincidentally should be when mr wolf returns from Melbourne. In the meantime I look forward with anticipation of cool autumn harvests.

*suggestions welcomed - I need something that I can hang towels on. I am prepared to make it - although I only ever got very generous 'B+s' for woodwork and metalwork in high school so nothing involving soldering, dovetailing or fashioning a wooden spoon out a 2by4.

2 comments:

  1. Mr Fox poses a very difficult question. Bathroom storage has always been a most contentious issue. I shall devote some grey matter to the subject and get back to you.

    note: a layout of the aforementioned privy would be most helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A galley style extension to a terrace a laundry with the bathroom coming off it. The Laundry is 2.5m by 2m, the bathroom is 1.5m by 2. The bathroom door as a crappy swivel towel rack thing on it that towels slide off and can't dry on when the door is open so they are jammed against the wall.

    The Laundry seems the best hope. One wall is taken up with a sink, washing machine and a wire drawer thing (the place came with it). The other has four hooks which we currently use to hang the towels on but they never dry properly because they're not hanging flat, beside that is a sliding door that takes up the rest of the wall.

    I'm kind of think that rigging a towel rack to suction hooks and attaching them to the sliding part of the door - could such a thing be done I wonder?

    Looking forward to your ideas.

    ReplyDelete