Wednesday, March 17, 2010

In which I bang on.



So I haven't decided how often I'll be posting but for the foreseeable future it will be most days of the working week... or until I run out of ideas.

I'm feeling like dressing today, as in to talk about, as opposed to all the other days where I prefer to live it up as a nudist... sorry naturist.

Maybe I'll bang on about my dressing philosophy. Which exists along the lines of dress for yourself and your body's attributes. A dear friend described it as wearing confidence with your outfit or something far more eloquent and pithy.


The point being that if you don't feel comfortable in the outfit you've chosen it will show. Although that doesn't seem to be enough. Because there are plenty of people with bucket loads of 'confidence' whose chosen outfit looks terrible. The case though is usually that this is a confected confidence brought about by conforming to a look because you idolize the celebrity/magazine/friend. Dressing then requires awareness, intelligence and control.

I'm a sucker though for buying pieces because of some detail that I've fallen in love with, so exercising control is still a work in progress. For instance a lover skirt was once purchased from monk house because it had a fabric detail that invoked childhood nostalgia. Most recently I bought a Veronika Maine dress because of the architectural folding details on the front and the fact that it was the kind of blue that makes my complexion look like cream.

These pieces weren't bad, indeed the VM dress was perfect for summer as it was a light weight cotton. But the details that caught my eye distracted me from the overall impact of the dress which lacks the pop and sway that my favourite VM dress has (pictured above).

Soooo I guess what I'm trying to get at is that dressing is about knowing yourself, knowing your attributes but also knowing your weaknesses.

1 comment:

  1. Ho there Mr Fox! Thanks for dropping by :)

    I got that particular shade from Supply & Demand on Malvern Rd, Prahran about 12 months ago. I don't believe they carry it any more, unfortunately.
    Target sometimes carry plain drum shades, it might be worth having a look there. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

    Estelle
    (love your blog BTW!)

    ReplyDelete