Monday, March 22, 2010

Eveleigh Bunches and Village Greens


This week while at the Eveleigh Markets I picked up a bunch of Dahlias. I love these flowers, they effortlessly make me look like an ikebana master.

What I also love is that feeling of smugness I got today when I saw identical bunches at our local florist retailing for twice what I paid. While I love the local hood - and yeah yeah we're a village and all that - with the exception of a few choice places it is rip off central around the village green.

I try not to focus too much on what I love and miss about Melbourne but whenever I stray into the local deli I can't help but make a list of all the things I intend to pick up from the Mediterranean Wholesalers, the Phoenician (where you can buy pashmak for $3 a giant bag) and the Stuart Street IGA the next time I'm in back in the old hood.

Of course nothing can quite sum up what I'll miss quite like The Lucksmiths*' lyric
'It's the wood smoked smell of winter, it's the sad things that you'll miss, like the wood smoked smell of winter, and the sad things like this'

Gosh wasn't that gratuitous?

*I love the Lucksmiths... more than noodles and more than the number 3.
They are the soundtrack to my life.

1 comment:

  1. The number 3 is pretty good though.....

    Lovely Dahlias! They are my favourite flower in the WHOLE wide world and possibly the universe! Although my limited travel doesn't really allow me to qualify that statement.

    ReplyDelete